2/3/09

typical NY problem


Review by Melissa Bastian on January 31, 2009:
I have mixed feelings about Sacred Chow. Overall it's still on my personal top ten list. But there are definitely some problems.
I'll begin with the good. There are menu items that are out of this world, and which are not replicated anywhere else in the city. Examples: the root vegetable latkes, the sauteed shitake mushrooms (either in tapas or salad form), the peanut ginger soba noodles, and the sunflower lentil pate. And on their brunch menu, the Italian frittata is not to be missed. I have no idea what resemblance it bears to a "real" frittata since I didn't have one until after I became vegan, but regardless it's just freaking awesome. You can choose to have it served with a side of fruit salad, which is always absolutely gorgeous. I'm also a fan of the iced coffee wakeup smoothie; I always ask them to add their house-made chocolate sauce, and they always do. Ah, and do yourself a favor by checking out the daily specials; they are often unique and outstanding.
Ooh, and dessert! The brownie sundae, the cupcake, the chocolate cake, the sinner bar (!), and the nougatines are all excellent choices - that is, if you somehow have room left after your meal. In the colder months they also make the best vegan hot chocolate I have ever tasted.
Now for those problems I mentioned. It's a small place with a lot of tables crammed in, which is a typical NY problem. But the tables are extremely small, making two people getting three tapas plates each quite the logistical issue, even with the cool metal racks they sometimes come out on. The tables are also rather low and the tops quite thick, meaning that I (and doubtless others of the long-legged persuasion) bang a knee at least once per visit. The cumulative result is a very uncomfortable seating arrangement, particularly when the place is packed (and I mean PACKED) for brunch.
I still suggest that people go to Sacred Chow, but do so knowing that the food rather than the dining experience should be in the spotlight.

No comments: