2/21/09

house-made oat cheese

Kedar D.
Minneapolis, MN
2/19/2009
I had a wonderful brunch at Sacred Chow on a Saturday. It wasn't too crowded and the quaint atmosphere made for a relaxing environment in which to eat and chat with friends. I was impressed with my seitan Philly cheesesteak (~$11.50) which did a great job replicating an old standard. The bread was soft, the portion size was just right, and the "house-made oat cheese" had a good kick to it, not tasting plasticky in any way. I had a side of tofu scramble with it (~$5.50) which was definitely tasty, and one of the better I've had in a restaurant, but it could have used some more color and vegetables---bell peppers and broccoli, perhaps? One of my friends enjoyed his three tapas selections which provided an unusual array of flavors and textures for only $15; my other friend seemed to enjoy her tofu breakfast sandwich (~$9.50), though the collard greens came in an excessively large portion. I was blown away by the smoothness of my hot chocolate with hazelnut liquer (~$5.50), which was sweet, but not overly so, and perfectly blended with the hazelnut. At the same time, I couldn't taste the alcohol at all. Finally, our dark chocolate truffle cake, gluten free too, (~$6) was positively decadent---it was rich in cocoa flavor, moist and impressed all of us. Sacred Chow is definitely a winner and one of the better vegan restaurants in NYC.

No comments: