5/29/09

Everything there was very fresh

Vegan Delights, Friday, May 29, 2009, Barbadian Vegan does New York.
I had dinner at Sacred Chow on Saturday. If you are looking for fresh, unfried organic food this is the place to go. They do not do any fake meats, drumsticks or anything of that sort - just good food. It is a very small restaurant which I recommend for couples. The service was prompt. They do vegan tapas 3 for $15 which is a good deal, but a little too much for me to eat to be honest. The server was very quiet, almost seemed as she was whispering to us.
I ordered the black olive seitan and soba noodles in spicy peanut sauce. I was unpleasantly surprised that the noodles were cold as I never ate Soba noodles before, I just thought there were going to be hot, because the other people who were eating this dish looked like if they were eating a hot noodle dish (the way they held the noodles near their mouth). Anyway, I struggled through this cold noodle dish, and later in the night it did not go well with me. I would spare you the gore. I am not used to eating cold dishes like that but it was tasty I have to admit. The black olive seitan was prob the best I have tried up to present date. The texture was not bread like at all and it had a rich flavour. My husband had western tofu which I did not get a picture of because he devoured all very quickly along with Kale salad. We both never tried Kale before and we have a love affair with Kale now. I do not think I have seen Kale selling here. I think it is the most yummy green leafy veggie I have ever tried. Everything there was very fresh. The music selection was good and we did not feel too cramped in this small place. They have some amazing desserts on their menu which I regret not trying.
So for Sacred Chow here is my score:
Overall ambiance A-
Staff courtesy B -
Taste of food A
Appearance of food A
Affordability B+
http://barbadianvegan.blogspot.com/Mouthwatering

No comments: