5/17/08

it's a multitude of bitchiness, but snatch the brownies!

what a compliment from Liz E. of Flushing, NY
I am not a vegan, which might explain why my various attempts to try the cuisine end up not entirely satisfying. I worked right across the street from this, I will admit, absolutely adorable place. The lad behind the counter was extremely friendly and struck up a conversation with me, one that eventually led to my ordering shiitake mushrooms with sunflower seeds and a side of brown rice. I love all three of these ingredients, but after sort of finishing them, had an awful heaviness in my stomach. Furthermore, there was something a little too penetrating about the smell of the dish; the earthiness was almost overwhelming. A month or so later, I walked by the garbage pile of a Waldbaum's supermarket, and realized that the smells were identical. For such an expense, I don't think I will be able to squeeze myself into this tiny restaurant ever again.
***UPDATE***Admittedly, I had to try the #####triple chocolate velvet brownie#####, which was a bit expensive but extremely delicious. Vegan, of course, it's housemade and has a deliciously crispy top with a center that gets moister as you approach the chocolatey core. I absolutely loved it, and it wasn't TOO guilt-inducing as most brownies can be. However, compared to my last experience, the service was atrocious and causes me to write a warning on the lack of consistency with this establishment. I was the only one in the restaurant and had to deal with a girl behind the counter who appeared high and totally uninterested or unaware of what was going on. Upon ordering the brownie, the girl asked me in an annoyed and bored tone how I'd like to pay. When she brought the brownie to me and I kindly thanked her, I was given a curt thank you as she snatched away my signed receipt. The multitude of her bitchiness was astounding, so I urge customers to simply grab their brownies and go if absolutely necessary, but certainly to not deal with such ridiculous service.
##### gluten free y'all!#####

it's blue cheese and smelly feet, classic wine and cat pee, and mushrooms and garbage; it's a multitude of bitchiness, but snatch the brownies.

No comments: