4/27/10

It's gorgeous out today!

Yesterday was dreary and rainy, and suddenly, today is absolutely stunning out. Mind you, it's a bit chilly, but that's OK. I can handle it. When I stop and think of how quickly this week, this month, and so far even this year have gone, I can't help but be amazed at how much things have changed.

For one thing, I moved from the heck hole that is Roosevelt Island (or as I call it, Stepford, NY) and into a lovely apartment in Inwood. For whatever reason, the commute is way less of a hassle, and about the same amount of time now. Weird. Boss Man and I resolve things within minutes, if not within an hour or two at the most. It used to be that we'd sit and stew with the negative feelings for a good long time, and then drag ourselves through the day. No more. Now, when there's an issue, disagreement, whatever, we manage to very quickly get over our own egos, and find a way to move forward.

I think a lot of that has to do with trust. Not only do we trust each other more, but we trust ourselves more, to do whatever it takes to make the best of our situation, whatever it is. The other part is that we've got an amazing staff who surrounds us. The other other part is that after going through all we've been through as a team, you start to realise that you really can do it, even if it doesn't seem that way at the time.

My mother has gotten far more comfortable with the computer. Now she can get onto her facebook account, look up the pictures on my husband's accout (or mine, for that matter), and keep in touch with her children a lot easier than before. She got a chance to look at our apartment, and a party we'd had, while sitting in Arizona, all those miles away. Pretty cool. Not only that, but she's become more comfortable with typing. Whenever I'd send her an email, she'd send back a very breif line (at the most) to say she'd got it, and read it, and we'll talk on the phone please. The last couple of emails have gotten at least a couple of paragraphs each. I'm inordinately proud of her. It just goes to show that it's never too late to learn!

I myself have become much more sociable. Part of it is that I don't hate where I live. The other part is that I am a lot more comfortable in my own skin. I know full well that what I have isn't the same standard as other people, but it doesn't matter to me. I realised after a while that my friends are there to see me because they like my company, and not to be served from silver platters and the like. I may not have much, but I'm always willing to share!

I don't know what got me going on this long ramble, but something about being outside in that gorgeous weather just shook something loose from the attic that is my brain.

No comments: