8/6/08

Writing this is making me hungry.

Dan F. says... ( on 07/13/08 )
Sacred Chow is the sort of place where whenever I am there, I wish I lived a bit closer to it so I could go there all the time. It has a very casual ambience and is a comfortable place to hang out. The part of the menu that I tend to favor at Sacred Chow is the tapas section, which is somewhat unusual for a vegan restaurant. They divide that section into protein and carbohydrates and the selections within each are widely varied and eclectic ethnically. I tend to favor the pate selection, especially their hummus of the day which has always been good. Noodle dishes are also often good and I've experimented occasionally with different kinds of tofu and other plant proteins they have in different sauces. I've yet to be disappointed.I still haven't ordered an entree myself, which generally consist of submarine sandwiches. A friend ordered the meatball sub and gave it a good review. I have been there for brunch however, and I do wish that happened on days other than the weekend. The brunch plates are very colorful and in particular I enjoy the biscuits and gravy, which is completely vegan, and a dish that is not easy to come by in New York. In fact to my knowledge, this is one of the only places that has it. You can order the biscuits on the side by the way even when it's not brunch. Lastly it's worth mentioning that the restaurant is entirely vegan, but they are alcohol-friendly which is an unusual combination and means they have a happy hour that can be enjoyed with vegan tapas. Not too many places in New York provide that kind of atmosphere. Writing this is making me hungry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES. oh. YES. sacred chow is by far one of my favorites in NYC, ranking right alongside gobo and angelica...the food is delectable....perfect and fun...

...although it has a small dining space, it seems appropriately-sized for sullivan street....i just love every bit of that place...it's one of my first stops whenever i get to NYC...

at this very moment i am pining for sunflower-lentil pate and some bob dylan.....sigh.

really, sacred chow, thanks for being awesome!